Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Prop 71 and stem cell research

When I am online, I keep the TV on for noise mainly. In the morning it is to watch Regis and Kelly. You all know how I love my Regis. Yesterday I was on the computer, and getting ready to sign off,when I see and ad for "Yes on Prop 71". For those of you who do not know what prop 71 is, let me give you a bit of background:

"71 is a measure that would allow funding for the establishment of the "California Institute for Regenerative Medicine" to regulate and fund stem cell research. It prohibits funding of human reproductive cloning research. It will cost the state about $6 billion over 30 yrs!!!"

1) Stem cell research is WRONG......note: this is my opinion, so don't yell at me please. It is wrong. Life is precious and why would you take an embryo, and remove the stem cells? Has anyone not read this part:

Pluripotent stem cells are isolated from human embryos that are a few days old. Cells from these embryos can be used to create pluripotent stem cell "lines" —cell cultures that can be grown indefinitely in the laboratory. Pluripotent stem cell lines have also been developed from fetal tissue obtained from fetal tissue (older than 8 weeks of development).

Human stem cells!!!! Embryonic stem cells meaning a life is grown in a petri dish and then the cells are removed and what hapens to the life? Gone..... Yes, supporters will argue that adult stem cells are also used but if you read up on this subject you will see that more times than not embryotic cells are preferred to Adult as the adult cells have matured and they aren't sure of the effectivness of them:

Pluripotent stem cells, while having great therapeutic potential, face formidable technical challenges. First, scientists must learn how to control their development into all the different types of cells in the body. Second, the cells now available for research are likely to be rejected by a patient's immune system. Another serious consideration is that the idea of using stem cells from human embryos or human fetal tissue troubles many people on ethical grounds.

Until recently, there was little evidence that multipotent adult stem cells could change course and provide the flexibility that researchers need in order to address all the medical diseases and disorders they would like to. New findings in animals, however, suggest that even after a stem cell has begun to specialize, it may be more flexible than previously thought.

There are currently several limitations to using adult stem cells. Although many different kinds of multipotent stem cells have been identified, adult stem cells that could give rise to all cell and tissue types have not yet been found. Adult stem cells are often present in only minute quantities and can therefore be difficult to isolate and purify. There is also evidence that they may not have the same capacity to multiply as embryonic stem cells do. Finally, adult stem cells may contain more DNA abnormalities—caused by sunlight, toxins, and errors in making more DNA copies during the course of a lifetime. These potential weaknesses might limit the usefulness of adult stem cells.




How can ANYONE live with themselves after ending a life like that? I often wonder if they are Dr.'s who used to work in abortion clinics. You won't see me protesting outside a lab that does such research (you all know I am not that type of person) but it irks me to no end.

2) If anyone falls for the sympathy vote and votes yes, I know I will be dealing with a bunch of wierdo's. Excuse the brief cynicism: As I mentioned an ad for Prop 71 came on the TV. Guess who it was? CHRISTOPHER REEVE. I understand that the man obviously made this ad before he got really sick and eventually died, but I think it's DISGUSTING for the supporters of this proposition to play on the emotions of Californians and run this ad now that he has passed. To me it says. "Well folks, maybe Superman would still be alive if we has funding for stem cell research" MY GOD ARE WE THAT NAIVE? Are we so dumb that we do not accept the fact that God calls us when it is our time? I'm not against medical measures that will help someone such as Mr. Reeve to live a happy and long life, but what I found absolutley gross was that they tried to play with our emotions and go for the sympathy vote. The sad thing is, many people will fall into the "Oh, if only we had funding, he'd still be alive". UGH I hate politics

1 comment:

Derek said...

Well, you know I don't hate politics, too, but yeah, emotional appeals that don't present the issue accurately enough from both sides is dirty politics. Of course, it's ALL dirty, I guess......still gonna support my run for City Council someday?