Bloggers note: The following is not posted to encourage or invite trash talk OF ANY FORM. Please refrain from doing so.
I found this little quote in the sports section of Micechat today. I laughed when I read it, and of course responded in disagreement to the person who posted it. I thought I'd share it with my readers/commenters for your thoughts as well;
"You can add to your list USC. Harbaugh's team backs up his smack on Pac 10 Media day and beats USC. This is a bigger upset than App St vs. Michigan. This is why we do not need a playoff in college football. These games count."
I laughed at the bold text because I strogly disagree. It was an upset, yes......but to claim it is bigger than App State vs Michigan? No. Texas beating USC in the National Championship was bigger than Standford beating USC. UCLA beating USC last yr was bigger (locally at least).
This is not to say that Michigan is weaker, a worse team, etc. I am not saying that, but what is the likelyhood of App State getting to the National Championship and facing say, Oklahoma? Ohio State? Florida??? What is the likelyhood of Michigan, USC or even Stanford doing as such??? Alot more likely than App State........
So, Stanford isn't ranked....big deal. USC lost their chance at the national Championship...so.....App State is a division lower than Stanford, USC and Michigan....correct?
So if I am wrong, please correct me. There is a difference and you cannot compare USC/Stanford to Michigan/App State.
Yesterdays loss to Standford does not surprise me one bit because if you watched the USC/Washington game, you would have known that USC was going to loose 1 if not more games this year. It was just a matter of to whom. USC SUCKED last weekend, and they proved it as such this weekend...at home.
Ah well, such is life in sports. Win some....lose some.
Sunday, October 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Big upset, but losing to a I-AA team at home is still bigger.
Now, losing to Duke? Different story.
Hey, now, Derek, watch it!
I resemble that last remark!
;-)
I would agree that the App. State loss was bigger, but honestly the fact that they are still in 1-AA is only because the NCAA has put a hold on teams moving up. Otherwise it would have been a lesser 1-A team beating another 1-A team on their home field.
I wish they had put a point spread on the Michigan/ASU game. Because that would help solve some of this.
Post a Comment