Wednesday, April 06, 2005

News about the Gnome

As many of you know, I received a gnomad for Christmas from Derek. I named him Bjorn and before he even arrived in CA he was merrily going on adventures through North Carolina!!!!

On March 26 Bjorn packed his bags and left his home in Rowland Heights for a big adventure to Washington DC. He was transferred to 2 of my Jr. High Youth and was off on his merry way. He saw the Smithsonian, the White House, The Korean War Memorial, the Roosevelt Memorial etc. After a fun filled week, he was ready to come home. The girls, who were extremely careful to make sure he followed the strict itinerary that they had, packed him up and headed for the airport. Somewhere between the bus ride and the touch down at Denver airport, Bjorn missed his next flight. I think he may have stopped for a potty break, but no one is to know at this point.

The youth who I originally gave him to for safe keeping and happy travels....was in TEARS at Mass Sunday!!! She felt terrible. Her mom, who was a chaperone on the trip, was crying too. I hugged them both, asked if they had a good time, asked if anyone was hurt, and said "As long as you had fun, and are safe, that's all that matters. If losing Bjorn was all that happened. Then we are in good shape"

My heart was breaking, not for Bjorn (though I WILL miss him) but for this youth who was beside herself with grief because she knew Bjorn meant alot and I told her, your saftey and the saftey of everyone else on that trip was far more important to me than a plastic toy. I told her we will get a new Bjorn. It was so terrible. I don't want her 8th grade trip to be a sad memory!!!!





Tonight as I was preparing to lock up the classrooms, I was presented with a brown Paper bag that said:

To: Katie
From: "A"

I opened it to find not one but 2 gnomes!!!! Bjorn was back!!! "A" said that she got me two because one is a backup. In light of the past weeks events, I have named them Bjorn II and Karol. They look like twins, but Karol will be dying his beard black tomorrow, so I will no longer confuse them. I can't wait to take them to Disneyland on Friday!!! I may even try to talk my Dr. into posing with them. She's a good sport.


Just a bit of info. I named the second one Karol after the Pope. "A" became quite fascinated with the gnomes as she searched for a new Bjorn on the net. So much so that she got one for herself as well as some for her friends. When all was said and done her mom, M, said "I spent $60 on gnomes" I can't wait to have adventures with them too!! YAY Gnomes are sweeping the nation!!!

I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Welcome Bjorn II and Karol to the family!!!!!

3 comments:

RUFUS said...

all nice

Amy (ArtsyBookishGal) said...

Bjork is very happy that her twin is back in action. Well, I never told her the truth...I doubt she could have handled the death of her twin...but fortunately, he's been cloned...

Karol sounds like an awesome addition to the world of gnomes.

We only have two gnomads living here now, but we also have 7 other gnomes of unknown origin. :)

Katie, you and your new pals will be very happy together, I'm sure!

Love,
Amy & Bjork

beautifulmess said...

Sad! But I'm glad you have new gnomes for new adventures!

Sven is saddened by the news.

I do have good news though - Sven found his dad in poland! Working in a salt mine, of all places. He's living with Sven here now. We're having a great time. I was going to also name him Karol after the Pope, but decided on spelling it Carl instead. He needed a good Polish name.

Hope you're well, Katie!
Love, Shay