I had every intention of blogging about this on Saturday. I wrote it down on paper and just now am having a chance to put it here. I wrote this in the "youth room" at work. I was tired of just sitting there watching the girls practice for Youth Rally. I felt like a dork. So I escaped to the other room to write. It's times like that, I wish my office were in the Holy Spirit Center since we spend so much time there. So here goes:
Saturday April 2, 2005
As word of the Pope's death was announced, my immediate reaction was to prepare my youth for dealing with the loss of our great leader. We had been talking about his legacy on YS for the last few days. We discussed the process of the election of a new Pope. I was ready to answer any questions they may have had. I should know better than to be prepared, because that is when God throws me curve balls.
Youth Rally is a week away and I have the girls at church early to practice their part in "God's Remix". They were joking as we walked into the room about how they arrived before I had. I explained that I had gotten caught up in the events of the day and apologized for being late. What I heard next was a bit of a shock:
"I don't know why people are sad. It's the Pope, I don't know him"
"Katie, are you sad because he was a family member?"
"What exactly is his Role?"
I expected the "I don't know him", but I am floored by them not understanding the Pope's role in the church. I'm curious, as I write these words, hearing their laughter in the other room; What does the church mean to you? What keeps you from knowing the spirituality, mission and heart of the man who has courageously lead the Catholic Church for 26 yrs? A man who helped in the fall of communism, who forgave the man who attempted to murder him, spent time with him and prayed with him. A man, who even in his last hours, reached out to the Youth of the Church whom he loved so much. A man who's life was dedicated to the one thing we struggle with the most...surrendering our material things; ipods, mp3 players, converse shoes, clothes, computers, cars, make-up etc to serve the Lord. A life that tried to reflect the life of Jesus and struggled to stand firm on the foundation of Catholicism. He faced criticism for his opposition to divorce, and the events that led to the sexual abuse scandal. He became Pope in the years following the Roe vs Wade decision and stood firm on the Churches belief on abortion and birth control. Not giving into society to gain popularity points. He apologized for the mistakes of the Early Church, he grieved with a nation torn apart by war and prayed daily for peace.
He survived WW2, loved the outdoors, lost nearly all his family members by the time he was 11, he acted, played soccer and loved to ski!
He was real! He was holy! He was our Pope!!!
One of my Youth asked "How long does it take to get to heaven?" That is something I cannot answer, but I can only hope his journey to the Father's eternal kingdom was short and that he was greeted with open arms.
Now the challenge I face as a Youth Minister isn't to help these youth to cope with the loss, but to bring them to a better understanding of the impact this holy man had on our Church......
......and the Journey continues!!!!
Tuesday, April 05, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Well written. I know I always try to open my kids' eyes to matters of importance to us as Christians, regardless of denomination, so I hope your kids take well to it.
Post a Comment