Derek and I have pretty much decided to take a trip to the Reagan Presidential Library the weekend of my birthday. He has not seen the Nixon Presidential Library and Birthplace, so we're going there as well. Historical Geeks!!! That will be us. You gotta love that!!!!! I've wanted to go visit Reagan's library for a while now, but could never find anyone to go with. I really am interested in seeing the slab of the Berlin Wall they have there. I have a piece of it myself, but it's not nearly as big as the one they have. I want to see the Oval office, Air Force One and all the...well just everything!!!! I really liked Reagan as a president. I don't remember much of the political aspect per say, meaning I didn't get too into the nitty gritty stuff like Iran and the hostage stuff....gosh I was so young back then. But I will never forget how he seemed to really speak to all of us when we were faced with tragedy (Challenger explosion sticks out most in my mind) and what not. (Mind you, I grew up in a very Democratic family).
I went to the Nixon library about a week after his funeral. I watched the procession go by my work in Anaheim Hills. I drove down Yorba Linda Blvd starring in amazement at how many people were there to see him Lying in state. (I had never seen anything like it before). I watched the funeral and wept as his brother walked to the gravesite and just seemed so sad and alone. I never knew, growing up, how much he did for CHina and the US. Of course, in my family he was always referred to as "Tricky Dick" so we rarely talked about him. I think despite his faults and his ties to Watergate, he did have some good moments in his presidency. (and yes, for my Dem friends who read, I know Clinton did some good things despite Monica and all the "mysterious deaths" that seemed to have occured during his 8 yrs in office). I'm looking forward to going to both places with the love of my life. It's fascinating to see him get so excited and show so much respect for the US. Derek just fascinates and amazes me, period.
The cookies are just about done. my house smells wonderful and I'm trying so hard not to eat one!!!! but......they....smell.....so....good.....must......resist...the sugar...cookies.......
Once the cookies are done I'll be off to pick up a copy of Wimbeldon. Then I will come home, make bacon wrapped filet mignon, peas and mashed potatoes, and sit down with Derek (yes he will be at his house with the same movie) and enjoy this mushy chick flick!!!!! We sound like high schoolers don't we???? Isn't love grand???
I have it on good authority that the grammar police are out and about.....forgive me for my typo's.
Saturday, February 12, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
mmmmmm Baaaacooon!!!!
< drool >
I just hope it was thick cut, smoked, bacon.
Post a Comment