Friday, December 17, 2004

Sometimes......

Sometimes, I get so fed up and frustrated with my youth that I just want to quit my job and go back to working behind a desk. They complain...ALOT...they complain that we aren't doing anything. They complain that they want a speaker to come talk to them, yet they know not what they want this speaker to speak on. They complain that I am showing the wrong movie for movie night, yet when it is mentioned to a group of Confirmation kids, there is excitement!!!! Can anyone explain this to me???? They want to debate, yet tell me I ca't particiapte because I "know too much". I don't get them sometimes. I've tried to get them to do things, and all they want to do is play, or bring homework to a meeting.

Sometimes I sit back and remember that they are teenagers and sometimes they have no clue!!! They know not what it is like to organize things and to try and keep everyone happy. They don't know how tough it is to come in after someone has created a clique and left. They have no idea how frustrating it is when they say they want something but do nothing to achieve the goal!!!! They have no idea how much potential they have as a Youth ministry group if they would only use the gifts God has given them.

Sometimes, I will talk to one of them one on one and get a glimpse of what they are struggling with, or what they are really happy about. Sometimes one of them will look at me and say "Katie, I get it, I understand where you are going with this, we just need some spirituality". They want it.......they just have to "get it" I can help, but they have to work at it too.

Sometimes, I see them interacting and I think that we have a great thing here. We just need to reach out. I see them working together, singing Christmas Carols to residents at an assisted living home, swarming around two elderly ladies who are celebrating their birthdays, singing joyfully and hugging them wishing them a Happy Birthday. I see the joy they bring to these people. I see tears in their eyes as a woman, who has no family to visit her is filled with joy as we surround her with love. I feel so proud and remember that this is why I do what I do. Despite the frustrations.

Sometimes, kids remind me that they don't like how I've come in and changed things and I allow that to pierce my heart.

Sometimes, I just want to throw in the towel.....and then I hear kids laughing, I see them being silly and I remember that Jesus is alive, He's working, and I am but an instrument.

1 comment:

Andrew Seely said...

I'll speak some sense into them. I'll tell it to them straight.

Just give me a chance and a big stick.