I went to dinner tonight before our Advent Penance Service. It was myself, Fr. Michael, Fr. Carmine, Fr. Jerry, Fr. Peter and Linda. The conversation took many turns from Ireland, to me talking about Alabama, to talk about EWTN etc. Fr. Peter has quite a mouth. I was shocked!!! I mean I know he is human, but to hear him say BS....and not just the letters...the full word...really shocked me. I try not to say that word myself. Fr Michael kind of got on him for the use of the language. Fr. Peter also is very liberal and was complaining about President Bush. I kept my mouth shut. I also saw a priest drink beer!!!! Fr. Carmine laughed when I said I had never seen a priest drink beer. I seriously do not try, by any means, to put them on a pedestal, or stereotype them, as many people tend to do to me when they hear I am a Youth Minister...but it is just so funny to me. The first time I saw a priest smoke, I was about 8 yrs old and I looked at my dad and said "Dad, Priests are allowed to smoke?" I guess we get caught up in the whole idea of Priests being so above all these things.....well at least I used to. But they aren't They are regular men who have their struggles with depression, alcoholism, ADD and so on. They struggle with their faith, they are constantly being asked for things....thus the need to pray for our priests and for all clergy in the world. Imagine always being asked for something no matter who you come in contact with. I have yet to meet a crotchety priest. I had 11 priests at the Penance Service tonight. While I know that they all have very busy schedules, they all were very greatful and happy to be there with us. Fr. Cassidy was finished hearing confessions and was walking out, taking off his alb, and he stopped, shook my hand and when I told him I had not had a chance to talk to anyone, he stopped and listened to my confession. It wasn't anything bad, I just need to work on being more patient with my sister. I haven't been lately. He gave me my penance which I will now do right now:
"Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee
Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners
Now and at the hour of our death, Amen"
I love that prayer!!!!!
Priests, they're human too....Thank God for that, because they understand what failure feels like and they are able to reach out and help you to deal with all that you are tempted with. They are like the cool breeze you feel in the hot desert sun!!!! (Thanks for getting me thinking of Deserts Derek!!!)
Wednesday, December 01, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
And, funny, Youth Ministers are real people too!!! :) Isn't it strange how sometimes people put us out to be something we're not, but then we can do it to others, too!?!?!?!
Post a Comment