Saturday, December 18, 2004

But then........

The owner of this blog strongly recommends that you read the previous blog post to get the full affect of the following post. You don't really have to, but it would be nice to know at least 2 posts were read by my fellow blogging readers today

I'm always amazed when my attitude towards something generally stinks and then really exciting and amazing things happen. For the most part, over the last 2 months I have consumed myself with trying to make everyone on my leadership team happy!!!! I would get so hurt if someone stopped coming, or if someone didn't like the way I did things, if one of the kids critisized HOW I was doing something, or a movie we were showing.

I talked to two of my high schoolers last night and asked them what they thought about things. They said that they had been bitter about how alot of things happened before I got there. That they knew what was going on and why TD had left, that they were hurt about how things were handled. They expressed that some kids really have not gotten over it and have been really reluctant to come back. I KNEW these things, I've known them. I've let it consume me to the point of not putting my energy where it needs to be...focused on the ministry itself and bringing teens to Christ, not worrying about whether this teen or that teen likes me. C and B, whom I was talking to expressed that they felt things with TD were pretty cliquish and they felt like they were not wanted, accepted, etc. They felt like they were always "the one's who joined Youth Ministry late". They then said that after giving me a chance, they realized that I am not like that. I don't promote cliques, that I am accepting of everyone!!! What a nice way to be affirmed!!!

80 kids are currently enrolled in Jr. High Religious Education. All 80 were invited to a Birthday party for Jesus last night. 5 of my high school girls helped plan this shindig. 16 kids showed up!!!! It wasn't about numbers, it was about having fun, playing goofy games (baby bottle sucking contest, M&M spoon relay, baby food eating contest), eating, decorating cookies and fellowship. I got to know some of my Jr. high kids alot better, and my high school kids are so excited about interacting with them, that they want them to come to movie night and possibly to Bibile Study (that one I need to pray about). It was awesome to see these kids, who were a tad reluctant at first to even step into the room because it was "A Church Party", open up an have fun. We had one girl who came late, but said "I don't know anybody" and to watch one of the other Jr. high girls say "Oh well, I'm C and you can come hang out with me" (Um, yea can you say potential leader???)AMAZING. I had so much fun laughing with them, telling crazy stories and teaching them the hand gesture that's sweeping the nation....."WOW!!!!" (Sorry Ben and Dave, I haven't gotten to the scrolling part with them yet). Jr. High kids amaze me!!!! T said "They make me feel like a kid again." (this from the mouth of a 16 yr old...oy vey!!!)

All those "sometimes" I posted about earlier seem like minor blips on the page of life now. These kids helped me to see what my job is really about. It isn't worrying about why L, G and whomever else are not coming to Bible Study any more. It isn't about holding onto those kids who "were there first"...it's about every life in which I have been entrusted with. Every teen whom God has hand picked me to be a servant to. I can't spend my working days worrying all the time about how to get every single kid who was there before and was into it and loved it and is not coming because I don't do things the same, back and fully into Youth Ministry (I was told that alot of people don't coome because of TD...wow wrong reason to be involved in ministry). Fr. Challenged my leadership team to bring 2 people. I plan to hold them to it, but I refuse to allow negative attitudes to play as major of a role as they have since I've been on board.(I also plan to bring alot more than 2 myself.) Either they are in it for Jesus or they're not. I worry no longer about whose not staying....that's their choice, and they are always welcome back!!!!

Thank you Lord, for opening my eyes to what it's all about!!! I have excited kids. High schooler's who want to do Bible study with Jr. high kids and I have your love and support to help me along the way. God you are so very good!!!!

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!

2 comments:

Derek said...

I love you. You're my favorite Youth Minister. I'm sooooo glad things worked out for the better. God listens!

Andrew Seely said...

You are truly blessed. Continue to look for his blessing not only what you want to be a blessing.