Saturday, January 29, 2005

All that Jazz

Most of my high schoolers go to the one and only high school in our lovely town. Most of my high schoolers are extemely talented!!! If it isn't sports, it's band, if it isn't band it's drama, if it's not drama, it's chior. Somewhere in all of that they fit all of the above into their schedules adding on top of that....a full load of AP (IB) Honors classes. I am in awe of how they can juggle it all, not surprised by their stress, and worried that they will have ulcers by their sophomore year in college!!!

I went to the HS chiors Pancake breakfast this morning. A good majority of my confirmation kids are in chior. Let me tell you, these kids are good!!!! I was so proud of them!!! A few of them did solo's and my gosh if Simon, Paula and Randy would stop wasting their time listening to crappy singers, and come out here they would find themselves a few American Idols right here in So Cal!!!! I can't believe how powerful these kids voices are and I can't remember any one I went to high school with (ok, Zsa Zsa Smith being the one and only exception) a voice like these kids have. It did make me miss that one aspect of high school though. I miss singing with my friends in madrigals. Those were the good days.

Our leadership meeting went well. Instead of being totally stuctured and focused, I let the kids just talk, about what they were feeling, what was going on in life and we heard some really funny, and great stories from each other. I really hope that helped them. One of the girls, I was shocked to get a hug from. This has been the new thing with them. I see it as a sign of a comfort level has been reached. I knew better than to always initiate that aspect until I knew they were comfortable with it. F went around the room and hugged everyone, me inluded. G did the same today at the pancake breakfast. A break through?? I hope so.

I have tickets for a taping of The View on Feb 7th...anyone of the 2 readers I have want to go?

No comments: