Friday, September 28, 2007

Drama be gone.

I recently had an "argument" with a former youth. What about? Well, he seems to think that I am prying in on the business of the former youth group, and trying to tell the interim YM how to run things. Not true.

You see, this Interim was one of my volunteers and when the last YM was let go, she stepped up to help make sure the group was kept going. She along with another volunteer I had out in CA kept some key programs running at the church over the last few months. Along, with the leadership team that was in place before I got there and when I left, they have done an amaxing job and I am so proud of their hard work and dedication. I digress.

This interim has come to me asking my advice and what procedures to follow regarding the ministry. I have offered her advice, and she is free to take it, use it, or not. The choice is hers.

Well, what does this have to do with a former youth? I'll tell you. This former youth began to like another youth group member. No big deal right? Wrong. Said former youth is 18....in college....a young adult volunteer (who is trying to play himself off as "still a member of youth ministry.")...and the youth he likes (and wants to date)is 16. Anyone see anything wrong here? Interim asked what to do. I told her to look up what the Diocese says, and to discuss it with this young adult and another one in a similar situation. She did. Somehow in the conversation my name came up (she also brought it to the attention of the pastor)

Said former youth BLASTED me, telling me that the interim said I was "prying" and that I hurt him by saying in an IM conversation that he needed to get his priorities straight. After being apalled at being accused of such an action, I kindly offered to send him the conversation we had (I saved it for the interim to read and also present to the pastor if need be. We YM's have to document everything these days) All I got in return was "yes you did say it, yes C did say you were prying....say out of our business....." (I was also blamed for "leaving" the youth group and not caring one iota about them because NC was more important) Uhhh, Gladly but if I am asked what to do by ANY YM in that situation, what would you like me to say??? "Oh let them do what they want. It's not a big deal because _____ is a good kid. He should be allowed to bend the rules. Don't worry."

Pssshhhyeah...I don't think so.

So, I let it all go with this post. It's pretty sad that people can't see when you are trying to help someone who is asking for help what to do in a serious situation. Especially when said serious situation involves them, and they only want what THEY want and following the diocesean rules go against what they want. You can't make up/bend/break the rules to suit YOU.

I'll "bud out" and hope that someday you will learn that your actions are hurtful to the youth group, and yourself. Until then...farewell.

No comments: