Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Dealing with starvation

Latte, our 11 year old pure white cat is starving. Not because we have no food in the house, not because we are mean parents, not because he refuses to eat. He is on Dr. orders NOT to eat.

For the last 5 days or so, Latte will eat, drink, sleep and PUKE on my carpet. Vomiting once is something I can deal with, but with the frequency in which ot was happening, and the way he looked this morning, I had Derek take him in......2nd time in 2 weeks. Last week it was for his rabies shot. Since his last visit he has lost almost 1 pound. For those of you who know how big Latte is, that's a big deal. He used to weigh 17lbs (as of 2004)...he's 12 lbs 7 oz. Weight loss isn't un common for a cat his age. But 1lb in a week...eh, yea, he's not feeling well.

After a bunch of questions, they took him to the back to draw blood, checked his kidneys, they were fine, his bladder was full, no dehydration, his gums indicated a bit of anemia, not terribly uncommon for a light complected cat....er, ok.

Now we just wait until we get the blood test results....tomorrow. In the meantime, my poor Latte has to starve and not eat until then. He's HUNGRY!!! he's screaming at me and following me everywhere. Derek has snuck food to the other cats, but poor Latte has to suffer.

I am hoping that it was just a bad reaction to my changing his food. I got Meow Mix Indoor formula, which he has had before, so I am not sure what the deal is at this point. I hope it's nothing serious. Everything looked normal on the outside.....now we wait to see what's going on on the inside.


*Sigh...poor Latte. He just wants food.

No comments: