Tuesday, March 28, 2006

To send my resume or to not...that is the question

Today I was looking at churches in the area's where Derek is currently interviewing for jobs. He's got a full plate of about 3 interviews...one last night, one tomorrow night and one next week. All is well.
While looking for churches, I happened upon the job listings withing the Diocese of Charlotte website (in the Catholic church, each state is divided into different Diocese's. In CA we have quite a few: Los Angeles, San Jose, Orange, San Diego, San Bernardino, etc). Seems that they are looking for a full time Youth minister in the Greensboro area, which is close to Derek's brother and sister in law (who have 3 beautiful little girls). Here is the job listing:
Youth Minister
Our Lady of Grace Church in Greensboro, NC seeks candidates for a full time Youth Minister.
The Youth Minister will direct the spirtual and social needs of the parish youth in grades six through twelve and will also recruit, train and develop volunteers.
Qualifications: Degree or certification in youth ministry, theology or related field. Good verbal, written communication ability and strong interpersonal skills needed.
For consideration please send resume and cover letter to:
Our Lady of Grace - Youth Ministry201 South Chapman StreetGreensboro, NC 27403
Final filing date: May 31, 2006
A couple of things come to mind here in considering the idea of submitting my resume:
1. I do not have a degree in Youth ministry or theology. I have begun my certification, but have not completed it yet. However, I come to the table with 15 years of experience in Youth Ministry.
2. My organizational skills need some work. (Any one have any tips?)
3. This is what I have been doing since I was 17.....and doing so full time for the better part of two years!!!!!
4. The final date for filing is May 31 which tells me that they will look until May 31 or at least accept apps until then, so they may take their time in deciding. Could be a good thing since I plan to move in Aug. No?
5. It'd be nice to have a job lined up when I get to NC
6. I'm second guessing my abilities as a YM because of the fact that my current pastor likes to point out that I have "poor planning skills"...um because I was not allowed to plan ahead until he got here IN AUGUST...but whatever....let's not make excuses....it;s something that could be worked on.

So I battle with do I do it or no??? Maybe I'm fishing for a pep talk...I dunno.

4 comments:

. said...

Greensboro is one happening place, and we love bloggers... After-all we're known as Blogsboro!

beautifulmess said...

It can't hurt, sis! Go for it!

Jeff said...

Forget the part about degree wanted... sounds like you've got experience that outdoes any degree!

And yeah - on organizational skills??? Let me know when someone tells you how to do it! I find people in my church to help me.

Todd Porter said...

you can do it, sis! i know you can! i am sooooo excited for your wedding!

btw, something special was sent today to someone special! ;)