Sunday, March 05, 2006

And the Oscar goes to......




To say that I am shocked about Crash winning best picture tonight, would be an understatement. The movie was great, and came highly reccommended by the time I saw it on Christmas Eve. To say I liked it would also be an understatement. This movie hit not only on racial issues, but the true heart of the movie revolved around how every action you take, can affect the lives of those around you. Such a good movie.

Though I find it funny that I feel still, that while I loved the movie, it was not Best Picture "worthy". Good Pic, but I can't quite put my finger on which element I feel it is missing to truly make it a Best Picture film. But this is why I am not a member of the Academy who chooses the winner. I would have chosen, "Good Night and Good Luck". However, Crash is very deserving of this award nonetheless. Kudos to everyone who made the film possible and kudos to Paul Haggis and Robert Moresco for writing such a great movie. I can happily say that yesterday (March 4) Derek purchased this movie at his local video store for a whopping $5!!! I told him, if he can get in there to get another copy, that would be good. Can't beat $5

So, I thought I would be blogging about a different Best Pic winner, and while it was good also, I am glad Brokeback didn't win. Why? I think it was well written, directed etc. Heath Ledger really created an interesting Character in Ennis Del Mar....but I fail to see where the "greatness" in this movie is. It ticked me off for one!!! I mean come on. So you have a thing with this guy in the mountain, come back, marry someone and have children and lead this guy on for over 20 years only to tell him it has to remain a secret. Get over it!!! Oh man it made me so mad. Nothing about it blew me away. I'd say Crash surpassed this movie in greatness by a country mile (pun inteneded). Brokeback had a build up that really was quite the let down for me. Stupid dumbass Ennis, I swear. UGH.

Do take every opportunity to see "Good Night and Good Luck". Really great, compelling, film. I loved how Edward Murrow challenged Sen. Mc Carthy and his actions with his accusations on everyone and their mother with Communism. Fantastic film. Well directed (by my George who also co stars and is FANTASTIC in this film), and should have won for cinematography. I didn't see "Geisha", so I can't say it wasn't a well deserved award, but wow it must have been spectacular to beat out this one. Too bad they got snubbed on all their nominations, but they were up against some pretty tough competition (I like to believe this to be true). But see it. You will want to see it again and again because it's just that great. If "Capote" had been released this year...I guarentee that David Strathairn would have walked away with the Oscar this year. Can you name one thing he was bad in? Memphis Belle? A League of Their Own? The Firm? Lost In Yonkers? L.A. Confidential? He's just great!!!! Hang in there David.......you will get the credit you deserve. Though I am still waiting for John Malcovich to be honored for the greatness that he is.

So, another Oscar night is behind us. Jon Stewart was funny!!!!! Not too controvertial, yet had the right amount of funny to keep the show entertaining. He's now my second favorite in regards to hosts. Billy Crystal being first of course. I'm sure only the Disney freaks "got it" when Abby Mallard (Chicken Little) yelled at Iger about ducks not wearing pants. Good stuff!!!!! Ben Stiller...so funny!!!!

Until next year...Good Night, and Good Luck...err, I mean Good Night and break a Leg.........bad luck to say good luck.

1 comment:

juz_A_ga| said...

yep. Jon Stewart did a good job. and Ben Stiller was HILARIOUS!!!