Saturday, January 21, 2006

M'Lynn you just missed a chance of a lifetime. Half of Chinquapin Parish would give their eye teeth to give a whack at Ouiser!

The above title, is a line from one of my all time favorite movies, Steel Magnolia's It's a story of laughter, love, and strength. I first saw this movie in January of 1989 with my two high school friends, Kim and Tricia. The day I went to see it, I had broken up with a guy I really only "dated" for what, 3 days or something. Really weird and really stupid and to get my mind off of it, Kim and Tricia took me to see it. I fell instantly in love with it. Little did I know that 4 years later, I would have a role in this play, my Sr. year in high school. I played Truvy and Tricia played Ouiser!!!! It was incredible and the girls and I had so much fun. (I wish I had pictures of us, but yea, long story as to why I don't have those anymore). One thing I remember most about that play is how much fun we had rehearsing, constructing the set and just growing closer in friendship!!!!! I also remember the girls allowing me to have a picture of my dad on the set next to the couch. It meant the world to me.

One of my favorite scenes in the movie is when M'Lynn is having a breakdown after Shelby's death. You feel her pain, you understand her frustration and you're sitting there crying, with the biggest lump in your throat ever. You want to just reach through the TV and hug Sally Field's character. She goes from one extreme (being completely ok with things and giving you a sense that she's moving on) to the other (complete tears and breakdown). She says

"I don't think I can take this, I don't think I can take this. I just want to hit someone, I want to hit them until they feel as bad as I do, I want to hit something...I want to HIT IT HARD"

All of a sudden Olympia Dukakis' character grabs Shirley McLaine's character and tries to convince Sally to hit her. In the story Shirley's character is like that crotchety old woman whose never happy, and grouchy, yet deep down she DOES have a soft spot. It's as if you are in this moment of crying so hard and then you LAUGH!!!! You laugh HARD!!!! It's so unexpectd you can't help but laugh. Oh I love it. I love crying and getting crap out of my system (and after this week it was good to have that cry) and just LAUGHING!!!!!! My gosh I love this movie!!!!!!

My sister had the movie on a few months ago and she told my oldest niece that it was our favorite movie. Seriously W and I will quote parts of the movie to each other

"The older you get the sillier get"
"Well, the older YOU get the UGLIER you get"

So, I tell B this one time, "This is mine and mom's favorite movie"

" I know she's told me about 200 times already"

Ah, as sad as it is to know that Robert Harling had to deal with pain and anger in losing his best friend, his younger sister, Susan, I am so glad he chose this outlet in which to share her life with us. It truly is a great movie. LOVE IT!!!!

So what is the point of this post?????

MY DVD PLAYER WORKS!!! I figured it out!!!!! Yessssssssssssssssss

Well, I also wanted to talk abotu my favorite movie, but I also wanted to pat my own back for figuring out how to make my DVD player work finally. I RULE!!!!

Ouiser I can guarentee there will be no more gunshots"
"But he was gonna fire a gun AT ME"
"Drum would never fire a gun at a lady"
"He's a real Gentleman!!! I bet he takes the dishes out of the sink before he pees in it!!!"

No comments: