Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Heee Heee whoooooooo

I got our childbirth classes scheduled!!!! On one hand it's going to be a relief to have gone through everything that is listed that we will learn. On the other hand....will we REALLY use the breathing techniques we'll learn??? I've heard some people say it works and others say it doesn't.

I only know I don't want to be a whiny woman in labor. i don't want to be one of those women the nurses talk about years later, "Remember that one lady?"

So anyway, here is what the description of the class says on the website of our hospital:

"This series of five weekly classes helps you and your labor partner prepare for childbirth and parenting. Some classes also meet on the weekends. Topics include care and safety of your baby, birthing options, Cesarean birth, a tour of The Women's Hospital, pain management skills (including breathing and relaxation) and the role of the labor partner. Classes begin approximately eight weeks before your due date."

I have been informed that the role of the labor partner includes our instructor strapping on the sympathy belly on them and having them try to pick things up. ROFL. I have already asked our instructor if I can bring the camera that night. I've been given the green light. I can't wait to see Derek with that belly on.

We're fortunate in that our instructor is one of the parents of one of my 8th graders. It's rather comforting knowing I won't be going into a room filled with strangers (I always get a little nervous about that), and at least we'll know Cheryl. I felt like a celebrity today calling to make the appt because she had me call her asst who then said "Ok I'll get this info to the class schedulers and make sure we get you into Cheryl's class. Talk about service.

We've also heard 9and I suppose we will get confirmation on this) that the hospital provides mom and dad with a nice steak dinner after the birth of their baby. Does this mean I will be able to finally have a medium rare or medium steak??? God I hope so. I can't stand well done meat.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I wanna see that picture of Derek with the belly!! I've started working on Marisa's blanket...I can't wait to finish it.

Brian Vinson said...

Will you really use the breathing techniques? Will you be the whiny woman in labor? The only way you'll know is to go through it! My wife swore she didn't want the epidural... but then she was very happy to have it...