Saturday, August 04, 2007

The Echo....explained

So here's the deal (and to help Angie better understand). In 2005 I was diagnosed with Raynaud's Phenomenon. In a nutshell:

Raynaud's phenomenon is a disorder that affects the blood vessels in the fingers, toes, ears, and nose. This disorder is characterized by episodic attacks, called vasospastic attacks, that cause the blood vessels in the digits (fingers and toes) to constrict (narrow).

Ok, so it's basically an auto-immune disorder which for me and pregnancy means there is an increased risk of blood clots and it could affect Marisa's heart (development) and growth and weight. As a result of one of the many tests they ran coming back positive, I was ordered to do the following:

Take 81mg of aspirin per day-Doi g that
See a perinatologist-done
He recommended an MRI and seeing a neurologist for my family history of aneurysms-done...all clear.
Have an echocardiogram done on marisa to make sure her heart is functioning/developing-doe details below
Have additional u/s to check Marisa's growth and weight....scheduled for Thurs.


The echo was basically the tech looking at her heart via u/s and us getting to see her heart for about 45 mins or so. The tech even showed us her foot, her face (and tried to get a good shot of her in 4-d, but she was turned to the side and had her arm in the way). We saw the blood flowing in and out of her heart and the Cardiologist said "everything looks great".

So she's good to go, has a healthy heart and is stubborn.....tee hee.







1 comment:

Angie said...

I know someone else with Reynaud's...cold weather was very difficult for her. Hands would turn a grayish white due to lack of circulation. I don't remember all the tests she went through when she was pregnant but I know there were alot of them, plus she was 38 years old, so add more tests. I'm so glad Marisa is doing great!! I'm buying yarn tomorrow!!