Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fun, fast, and easy

I'm always looking for something new and easy to try. My oldest daughter has taken a liking to play doh in recent months and i couldn't be more thrilled. I loved play doh as a kid and look forward to hours upon hours of fun with her. Of course, playdoh toys have come a long way since I was a kid. We used to have the barber shop, and that was about as high tech as we got for the 80's. NOW they have an ice cream shoppe, and just about everything imaginable. She seriously have about 45 cans of playdoh in every color you could think of. She has an activity center that has molds, and scissors, and a plate and I can't even begin to list it all. It's a pretty sweet set up for her.

I made 2 goals about a week ago when we were snowed in out here. The first was to make a play mat to go under her activity set. The idea is that she would not get playdoh smashed into the carpet at the new house. The problem is, I have not found the perfect tutorial to help me with that. Oh, I have a pattern for a mess mat, but it's packed away. I should probably just wait until the move is over to embark on this project, right? Sigh, yes.

The second project was a quickie project that i was able to finish whist being snowed in for 3 days. It was an apron. Now, I realize an apron is likely not very useful when playing with play doh, but she also enjoys painting, so I figured, there you go. Thanks to Petchy for her super cute, and super easy dishtowel apron tutorial.

Yes, you read that right, an apron, for a toddler, made from a dishtowel.

Back when I took my first sewing class in Summer 2008, my instructor had given us some instructions to make a cute purse out of 2 dishtowels. I tried it and was not to thrilled with my own results (my instructors bag was MUCH cuter);

Photobucket


But I digress.

I had gone to Tuesday morning in an effort to find, cute, yet unique dish towels to try my hand, yet again, at a dishtowel bag. For the next year or so the cute towels I found just SAT in my storage bin. Untouched, un-sewn, until recently. I was thrilled when I found this tutorial and immediately got out my dish towel collection, chose one for my daughter, and began to sew.

It didn't take long to make and I was so pleased with the end result. I wanted to wake her from her slumber to have her model it, but I knew better. I waited until the morning where, at first, trying to get her to put it on was met with, "No, no, not today." (Oh what comes from the mouth of a 2 year old), but then after some muffins, juice and the promise of a photo shoot, on it went:

Photobucket

I was so pleased with the result, that I immediately sent a message to my friend on FB. She has a daughter who is the same age as mine, and she has a little play kitchen, and I thought it would be a nice touch to go with her little set. Found out that she LOVES pink, and went to Target and found a cute waffle weave towel (in the Valentine's/$1/$2.50 section and voila!!!!

Photobucket

Thus the fascination with wanting to make dishtowel aprons has begun!!!!! Ok, so I won't be churning out aprons by the hundreds, but I am happy to make some for anyone if they ask!!!

No comments: