Monday, July 18, 2005

Hobo blogger returns

Before I got my official warning from Andrew I figured I'd better blog tonight.

The last few weeks have been a whirlwind. I found a new apt and will be moving in August. I love the place. It's a split level (Living room and then 5 stairs lead up to the dining room, kitchen, br and bath) 650 sq ft, but feels much bigger than that. It's bright and airy, and far more cheery than this apt I am currently in. I've told people that this place depresses me. It's always dark and it's drab. It does not sit in a good spot on the property. It's natural sunlight window is blocked by another building. What I wouldn't give for more light in here. Even still, its too expensive and I must move. I'm very happy with the prospect of moving to a nice city.I'm approx 5 miles from a mall and around 2 blocks from Trader Joes, Longs Drugs, Target, Miller's Outpost (Clothing store) and Home Depot (Not that I would go there at all, but I figured Derek would like it). It really is a cute apt and suits me very well.

The new boss, Fr. Tony started within the last few days and I am not sure how I feel about him yet. On one hand I feel he has a good grasp on moving us forward, but on the other hand I feel he will try to treat us as if we have the same dynamics as his last parish. In reality we do not. We are such a different parish than what he has been used to for 10 years. While I need to be understanding that he will need to adjust he needs to also understand that we will need to adjust but keep some things the same as well. I had a meeting with him that did not go as I planned and I was crying in frustration. He saw me, and I told him what was wrong, and he changed his tune a bit. He actually listened the second meeting 2 days later. My contract at SLR is for 2 years and will be up about 3 weeks after Derek and I are planning to get married next yr, so as I told Derek I will give him a year. I hate to sound negative, but when I was questioned about what I had been doing for the last 11 months with Youth Ministry and why my numbers were low when I had kids registered in the program that numbered in the 300 range....I found that to be quite rude. We had alot of crap happening when I got hired, 3 months later when Fr. Michael left and now......grrr.

Friday began the Weekend O' Disneyland. They officially opened Space Mountain. It had been closed for 2 years to replace the track and update the cars and give it new music,new effects. They had a rededication Ceremony with Neil Armstrong which sadly was only open to VIP's. I missed the grand re opening as I had an unexpected Staff mtg. I arrived at the park around 2ish and hung out with my friends Steve and Kristi. One of my former youth, R, met us there too. We had a good time. Before I got there Steve had gotten fast passes for us. (I used Kristi's cause she does not like Space Mtn)and the pass was for a 6:35 to 7:35 return time. I got one for Ryan an hour later (thinking the time woud be close to ours) and it was for 9:45 to 10:45. Unbelieveable!!!! We got Steve to negotiate for us and Ryan got on at the same time we did. Good times. The music is so great!!! I had heard it prior to the opening due in part to the 6 CD set Disney put out with Disneyland Park music. While I miss the old music, this one is really good. Gone is the Chocolate Chip cookie meteor but the ride is incredible

Saturday I worked. We had youth group with the kids...8 showed. It went well and they really participated in the discussion on love. We had dance ministry rehearsal after that. The kids are planning to perform for our Luau at the end of August. They are doing a really good job. I stressed myself out because I had made brownies for the kids and thought I had left the oven on. After the kids went home at 8. I raced home to find I'd indeed turned it off. I changed and went to Downtown Disney to meet my friends for the 50th Bday of Disneyland. Between getting a free ticket from a lady who could not use her 3 day hopper on the 3rd day because she was leavng for home (she literally gave it to me) and only getting 2 hours of sleep before hopping into line at 5am!!!! It was FUN!!!! My friend and partner in crime, Joanne, and I got to DL at 5am to see a HUGE line to get through security check and then into DCA to wait in line. Disney was smart to keep us lined up in DCA and to move us color by color (based on your wrist band) into DL. We were the 6th or 7th group to be escorted in. At 7am the fireworks went off to mark the opening of Disneyland on it's 50th Bday. As we were escorted through DCA and past the people waiting in the Espalande (they were not allowed entry until we had been moved to DL), and felt like celebrities!!!! Cast members were cheering and saying "Welcome Home" and "Happy Birthday" they were so enthusiastic. One lady even said "You just camped out in DCA, what are you going to do next?" We shouted "We're going to DISNEYLAND". Truth be told we did not camp out in DCA but I know of many brave souls who did and I hear that was quite a fun experience. One of my friends made a Sally Struthers type "commercial" about the homeless in DCA. I cannot wait to see that video!!!!!

As we continued into the park we were greeted by more cast members along Main St cheering and saying again "Welcome Home" and "Happy Birthday". My group decided to head towards the merchandise line to try and get the "I was there" trading pin. Limited Edition, 5000 made.....however the idea of waiting in an enormously long line that stretched from The Big Thunder Ranch/festival area though Fronteirland into NOS and through Critter Country...we decided Space Mountains hour wait was a much better idea. Note: We had received special Park guides for both DL and DCA. The DL one has the map of DL as it looks today and then when fully opened has what the map looked like on Opening day. VERY COOL. It was only issued 1 per person and only July 17th. It is selling for anywhere from $8.88 to $20 on Ebay right now. We also got Golden Mickey ears with a special 50th logo and embroidered on the back it says "July 17, 2005". Very nice. That coupled with the fact that they served cupcakes too. Word on the street is they ordered 145,000 of those cupcakes. We watched the ceremony at 10am on a jumbotron in front of It's a small World (IASW) and there was not a dry eye in the place when Diane Disney Miller, Walt's daughter, got up to speak and Bob Iger (President and CEO of Walt Disney Co.) asked her to give the speech Walt gave 50 yrs ago. She began it and they faded into Walt giving it along with a montage of pictures and memories. Very touching. Then it was riding rides, keeping cool, eating at Blue Bayou and the days festivities for me, because I was so exhausted, ended by standing in Town Square where Walt delivered his Openeing day Speech at 4:45pm. Mickey was close by standing near the plaque (with the speech written on it) by the flagpole as we listened to Walt give his speech. 50 years to the minute from when he gave it. That was sooooo cool. Then, I said my goodbyes to my friends and came home. I'll post pics very soon



“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”


Thanks Walt!!!!!!

No comments: